Ready to go back to school? In today's technological world, there are many options for getting an education, including taking part in an online curriculum. You may have heard that online courses are easier than their classroom counterparts or that you are totally on your own when you enroll - both of which are not true. Here are 5 common myths about getting an online education:
1. The quality of an online course is not as good as a traditional brick and mortar school - If you take the time to research your online school and confirm that it is accredited by an accrediting organization recognized by the U.S. Department of Education, you are going to receive a quality online education. Accreditation is a reliable indicator that you are enrolling in a quality school. Partner with a school that has the right credentials and benefit from a curriculum that has been evaluated and critiqued to conform to specific standards.
2. Online learning is easier than attending a live school - If you think that you are going to breeze through an online course, think again. If anything, you have to be more dedicated to your online education - if you don't complete your assignments and lessons on a regular basis, you are not going to learn the material and you are not going to pass the course. Remember you are unsupervised in an online course - it is up to you to meet deadlines and avoid procrastination. While you have more flexibility as to when you learn, you still need to devote ample time to stay on track.
3. You are on your own with an online school - An indicator of a high-quality online school is one that offers live student support. This means that you can call and actually speak one-on-one with someone when you have a question or need assistance. You are not alone when you enroll in an online course; your school should have a team of professionals available to assist you. Choose a school that has an educational support and student services department - make sure that all of your educational needs are met.
4. You need to be tech-savvy to enroll in an online course - Online courses are typically designed to be user-friendly. This means that anyone - from the novice to the pro - can navigate an online course. Typically your course website will have a clear and obvious place to log in - once you provide your username and password, you will be able to access your course materials. There will be instructions how to proceed through your course. In an online setting, the assignments, quizzes and tests will be available through your computer. You proceed through your course at your own pace and on your own schedule.
5. An online school is not as respected as a live school - Worried about employers not recognizing your career training? Don't! In today's educational times, more and more schools are offering online programs - in fact, it is even commonplace to get a bachelor's or master's degree online. Just make sure to check the school's credentials - including accreditation, approvals, memberships and student testimonials. A respected online school will be respected by today's employers.
What are you waiting for? Partner with an online school and get the career training you've always wanted. With high-quality online courses, in-depth educational materials, personalized student support and user-friendly courses, you'll be ready to build a solid foundation that sets the stage for an exciting career.